FAQS IVS UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS
1. What undergraduate programmes are offered at IVS?
The following undergraduate programmes are offered at IVS:
2. What is the duration of IVS undergraduate programmes?
The Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) is a 5 year (10 semesters) long programme whereas the remaining 5 programmes are of 4 years (8 semesters) duration.
3. What is the minimum requirement to apply for undergraduate programmes?
4. How can I obtain equivalency certificate for foreign qualifications?
Equivalency certificate can be obtained from IBCC (Inter Board Committee of Chairmen). For further details, please visit IBCC’s website at www.ibcc.edu.pk
In case of Cambridge qualifications, minimum 8 O level subjects (including Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu) and three A Level subjects (excluding general paper) are required to get equivalence from IBCC. However, for Pakistani students who have done their O levels from abroad are exempted from Pakistan Studies, Islamiyat and Urdu.
5. On what grounds a candidate is given admission at IVS?
A student’s final selection is based on the following two components:
The IVS aptitude test is the main criterion based on which students are shortlisted for interview. All students scoring a minimum cut-off marks in each discipline qualify for the interview.
The candidates in each discipline who qualify for interview are given admission purely on merit in the order of the final merit list. The final merit list for each department is determined based on 60% Aptitude Test marks and 40% Interview marks.
6. Is the eligibility criteria and admission test different for different programmes?
No, the same admission criteria and admission test is applicable to all programmes.
7. Are there any particular subject requirements or is Art education compulsory for taking admission in Undergraduate Programmes?
No, there are no subject requirements or former education in art education is required in any of IVS undergraduate programmes. Students with any subjects / background in intermediate / A-Level qualifications can apply.
8. I am interested to apply in Architecture programme at IVS, is Physics required in my intermediate/A-Level qualification?
No, there is no such requirement. Students with any subjects / background in intermediate / A-Level qualification can apply.
9. I am awaiting my A-Level/Intermediate results; can I apply for Undergraduate admissions at IVS?
Yes, you can, however, you will be given provisional admission based on the condition of clearing Intermediate / A-Level qualifications with minimum 50% marks. Equivalency certificate from IBCC for A-Level qualifications would also be required.
10. What if I fail or my result does not meet eligibility criteria, what would happen to my provisional admission?
In case you fail or your result does not meet the eligibility criteria, your provisional admission will be cancelled.
11. I have not done intermediate/A-Level, instead I have a technical diploma. Am I eligible for your programmes?
Yes, you are eligible to apply provided you submit an equivalency certificate from the Board of your area stating that your diploma is equivalent to Intermediate qualification.
12. I am expected to complete my intermediate / A-Level qualifications in 2019, am I eligible to apply for early admission?
Yes, you can sit for the admission test for an early admission for the next academic year. If you fulfil the criteria of admission, you will be given provisional admission for the year 2020 starting from January 2020.
13. I want to apply for more than one discipline, is it possible?
All candidates at the time of admission are required to give two preferences of the undergraduate programme they wish to pursue at IVS.
14. When does IVS offer undergraduate admissions?
The admission to IVS undergraduate programmes are announced in July every year.
15. When do classes for new session begin?
The new academic year starts from Spring Semester beginning from January (proceeding year).
16. Can I change the discipline of my undergraduate programme after getting admission at IVS?
All undergraduate programmes offered at IVS have a common Foundation Year. Therefore, students admitted on first preference can be considered to change their discipline at the end of Foundation Year (1st year), subject to portfolio review and availability of seat in the respective department. However, students admitted on their second preference are not eligible to change their discipline later.
17. Are the undergraduate programmes offered at IVS recognised by HEC?
Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture is not only recognised by HEC but has been placed in very high ranking of W3 category. For further details visit HEC’s website at
18. Are the undergraduate programmes offered at IVS accredited?
The 5-year professional undergraduate programme in Architecture is accredited by Pakistan Council for Architects and Town Planners (PCATP).
19. Are IVS undergraduate programmes recognized internationally?
Yes, all IVS undergraduate programmes are recognised internationally. Many IVS alumni have pursued further education from world’s leading art, design and architecture institutions and universities.
20. Is there any possibility of transferring credit hours to any IVS undergraduate programme?
Yes! Similar courses already taken at an undergraduate level at any institute recognized by HEC are transferable. To apply for credit transfer, detailed course outlines along with the official transcripts must be provided. A faculty committee reviews individual cases and decides whether transfer is possible or not.
21. What areas do you test in aptitude test?
The IVS aptitude test consists of following areas:
22. What areas do you consider in selection interview?
The candidate during the selection interview is evaluated on the basis of four areas each carrying equal weightage:
23. Are there any other areas which can give me additional edge during selection interview process?
Yes, outstanding performance in sports and other co-curricular activities, record of community participation and involvement in activities, related to the applicant’s chosen profession gives student an extra edge in interview ratings.
24. Does IVS conduct admission test anywhere besides Karachi?
No IVS admission test is only conducted at IVS campus in Karachi.
25. How many campuses does IVS has?
IVS only has one campus situated at ST-33, Block 2, Scheme 5, Clifton, Karachi.
26. How many times the admission test is conducted at IVS?
The admission test at IVS is only conducted once in the month of August. Please visit IVS website for correct admission test date. If a candidate fails to appear in the admission test, there would be no further option.
27. Does IVS offer admission preparation classes for the prospective students?
No, IVS does not offer any preparatory classes for the prospective students. Students with aptitude towards art and design and reasonable drawings skills do not need preparatory classes.
28. What is the cost of admission form and test at IVS?
The cost of online form and prospectus is Rs. 6,000/- (Rupees six thousand only).
29. What is the undergraduate fee structure at IVS?
The fee structure for the prospective students is given below:
|Admission Fee (payable on registration, one time – nonrefundable)||Rs. 50,000|
|Tuition Fee (per semester)||Rs. 160,500|
|Contribution to Endowment Fund (per semester)||Rs. 8,000|
|Security Deposit (payable on registration, one time – refundable)||Rs. 25,000|
|Total Payable on Registration||RS. 243,500|
The above fee structure is current but subject to review after every academic year. IVS reserves the right to review its tuition and other fees annually to cover inflation and other costs.
30. Can I pay my fees in instalments?
Yes, payment of fees in instalment is possible but with prior approval by the Executive Director’s / Registrar’s office. However, all fees must be cleared before the start of the 1st semester in January 2019.
31. Are there any self-financing or province quota seats available in Undergraduate Programme?
IVS does not offer self-financing option or quota seat for any particular province. Applications are considered regardless of age, gender, religion, race, colour, creed and national origin; applicants are accepted on pure merit.
32. Does IVS provide financial assistance to its students?
Yes, IVS believes in providing equal opportunity to economically challenged students for pursuing their studies at School. The School offers scholarship and financial assistance towards tuition fees.
33. How can prospective students apply for financial assistance?
Once the student has secured admission at IVS, they can apply for financial assistance by submitting a prescribed application form. The financial requirement of each student is carefully evaluated through an established procedure and financial assistance is awarded accordingly.
34. Is there any scholastic requirement for the continuity of financial assistance?
The continuity of the financial assistance is tied with the student’s academic performance each semester. GPA of 2.30 in the foundation year (semester 1 and 2) and a GPA of 2.50 in the remaining semesters must be maintained to receive financial assistance for the next semester.
35. Is my admission to IVS linked to my ability to pay the fees?
The admission at IVS is strictly given on merit. There is no bearing on admission to the School if the candidate is unable to pay the fee. The School is committed to provide financial assistance to the students who has secured admission based on their financial need as established through a prescribed procedure.
36. Am I entitled to fee refund in case I do not wish to continue at IVS after submitting the fee?
As per HEC’s policy, the following fee refund is applicable.
Full (100%) Fee Refund up to 1st week of commencement of semester
Half (50%) Fee Refund up to 2nd week of commencement of semester
No (0%) Fee Refund After 2nd week of commencement of semester
Please also note that admission fee of Rs. 50,000/- is non-refundable.
37. What do you mean by Credit Hour?
The term ‘Credit Hour’ refers to the instructional or teaching time given to students every week for the entire semester. A 3-credit hour theory course involves 3 hours of instructional time per week, whereas a 3-credit hour studio course involves 6 hours of instructional time per week throughout the semester.
38. How many credit hours are required to graduate?
5 years (10 semesters) duration undergraduate programme in Architecture has 170 credit hours, whereas all remaining 4 years (8 semesters) duration programmes approximately have 134 credit hours.
39. Does IVS provide transport facility to its students coming from different parts of the city?
IVS does not have a formal transport arrangement for its students. However, the administration can facilitate students to connect with private transporters operating from various areas of the city to IVS campus.
40. Do you have hostel facilities at IVS?
IVS does not have any hostel facility of its own. However, the School can facilitate suitable accommodation arrangement for female students with known individuals.